- Additional information
- How to Use
- Side Effects
- Product Details
- Patient Information Leaflet
- Prescription Product
Cardovasc XL 30mg Nifedipine Tablets, 30 Tablets
What Cardovasc XL 30mg is and what it is used for?
Cardovasc XL 30mg contains the active substance nifedipine, which belongs to a group of medicines called calcium antagonists.
Cardovasc XL 30mg is used to treat high blood pressure or angina (chest pain).
How does Cardovasc XL work?
For high blood pressure: Cardovasc XL 30mg works by relaxing and expanding the blood vessels. This makes the blood flow more easily and lowers blood pressure. Lower blood pressure reduces the strain on your heart.
For angina: Cardovasc XL 30mg works by relaxing and expanding the arteries supplying the heart. This allows more blood and oxygen to reach the heart and decreases the strain on it. Your angina attacks will be less severe and less frequent if there is less strain on the heart.
What is High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)?
High blood pressure or hypertension is a condition that rarely has symptoms until it becomes severe. Untreated high-normal readings increase your risk for heart attacks and strokes–and can cause kidney damage as well!
Cardovasc XL 30mg Reviews
After using Cardovasc XL 30mg, it’s helpful to let others know about your experience. Reviews of an item help other users know that medicines received have helped the condition it is claimed for, how well the treatment worked or any issues to be aware of. We invite our users to leave a review of both their treatment and of the service provided. Click on the reviews tab to see if there has been feedback on this item.
What is the price of Cardovasc XL 30mg in Nigeria
The price of Cardovasc XL 30mg is N1,300
Where can you buy Cardovasc XL 30mg In Nigeria?
You can Buy Cardovasc XL 30mg at Asset Pharmacy Lagos Nigeria, Nigeria’s Largest Online Pharmacy
How to Use
How to take Cardovasc XL 30mg
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your
doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Cardovasc XL 30mg are specially formulated so that you only have to take one dose each day.
• Dose for high blood pressure: the usual dose is 1 tablet, once a day.
• Dose for angina: the dose depends on your individual requirements. Your doctor will
decide how much you should take.
• Swallow the tablets whole. Do not bite, chew or break them – if you do they will not
work properly. If you have difficulty swallowing tablets, consult your doctor as he or
she may wish to change your medicine.
• Continue to take these tablets for as long as your doctor has told you to.
Take your dose at the same time each day, preferably in the morning. Take your tablets with a
glass of water. Do not take them with grapefruit juice.
You can take Cardovasc XL 30mg with or without food.
You may see what looks like a complete tablet in the toilet or in your stools. This is normal –
it’s the outer shell of the tablet which is not digested by the body.
Use in children and adolescents: Cardovasc XL 30mg are not recommended for use in children and adolescents below 18 years of age, because there are only limited data on the safety and efficacy in this population.
If you take more Cardovasc XL 30mg than you should
Get medical help immediately. If possible, take your tablets or the box with you to show the doctor.
Taking too many tablets may cause your blood pressure to become too low and your heartbeats to speed up or slow down. It may also lead to an increase in your blood sugar level or an increase in the acidity of your blood, swelling in the lungs, low blood oxygen levels and disturbances in consciousness, possibly leading to unconsciousness.
If you forget to take Cardovasc XL 30mg
Take your normal dose immediately and continue taking your tablets at the usual time of day, waiting at least 12 hours before taking the next dose.
Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Possible side effects OF Cardovasc XL 30mg
Like all medicines, Cardovasc XL 30mg can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Serious side effects
If you notice:
• severe, sudden generalised allergic reaction including very rarely life-threatening shock
(e.g. difficulty in breathing, drop of blood pressure, fast pulse), swelling (including
potentially life-threatening swelling of the airway),
• other allergic reactions causing swelling under the skin (possibly severe and including
swelling of the larynx that may result in a life-threatening outcome),
• fast heart beat (Tachycardia)
• shortness of breath (frequency not known) or difficulty breathing,
• mild to moderate allergic reactions
• itching (possibly severe), a rash or hives.
Contact your doctor immediately and do not take the next dose as these may be the first
signs of allergic reaction which may become severe.
If you develop:
• a skin reaction or blistering / peeling of the skin and/or mucosal reactions (in the
mouth/nose or at the penis/vagina) (Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis).
Contact your doctor immediately before you continue treatment as these may be signs of
a severe reaction.
Less serious side effects
Apart from the side effects listed above, these are the other side effects of Nidef Tablets,
starting with the more common ones:
(may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• general feeling of being unwell,
• swelling, particularly of the ankles and legs.
(may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
• stomach pain (abdominal pain),
• unspecific pain,
• low blood pressure when standing up (symptoms include fainting, dizziness, light
headedness, occasional palpitations, blurred vision and sometimes confusion),
• irregular heartbeat (palpitations),
• dry mouth,
• indigestion or upset stomach,
• wind (flatulence),
• feeling sick (nausea),
• muscle cramps,
• joint swelling,
• sleep disorders,
• anxiety or nervousness,
• reddening of the skin,
• nose bleeds,
• nasal congestion,
• sensation of spinning or whirling motion (vertigo),
• increase in the need to pass water (urinate),
• painful or difficult urination,
• inability to achieve or maintain an erection (impotence),
• blurred vision,
• temporary increase in certain liver enzymes
(may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
• pins and needles,
• inflammation of the gums, tender or swollen gums, bleeding gums.
(Frequency unknown: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
• stomach pain or distress caused by a mass of foreign material found in the stomach
which may require surgery for removal,
• difficulty swallowing,
• abdominal pain, caused by obstruction of the gut or ulcers in the gut,
• a reduction in the number of white blood cells (leucopenia),
• a more severe decrease in a specific class of white blood cell (agranulocytosis),
• increased blood sugar (hyperglycaemia),
• decreased skin sensitivity (hypoaesthesia),
• drowsiness (somnolence),
• eye pain,
• chest pain (angina pectoris),
• yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin,
• sensitivity to light (photosensitivity allergic reaction),
• small, raised areas of bleeding in the skin (palpable purpura),
• joint pain,
• muscle pain.
All of these symptoms usually go away when treatment with Nidef Tablets is stopped.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet.
What do you need to know before you take Cardovasc XL 30mg
Do not take Cardovasc XL 30mg:
• if you have had a heart attack within the last month.
• if you get a sudden angina attack. Cardovasc XL 30mg will not help relieve symptoms of angina quickly.
• if you have unstable angina.
• if you are allergic to nifedipine, to any other similar medicines (known as
dihydropyridines) or to any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section
• if you are taking rifampicin, an antibiotic,
• if you have a liver disease that prevents your liver from working properly.
• if you have inflammation of the bowel or intestines, such as Crohn’s disease.
• if you have an obstruction or narrowing in your intestines, or have had this in the past.
• if you have ever had an obstruction in the gullet (the oesophagus – the tube
connecting the throat to the stomach).
• If you have been told that you have a narrowing of the aortic heart
• If you have ever had a collapse caused by a heart problem (cardiogenic shock),
during which you became breathless, pale and had a cold sweat and dry mouth.
• If you have a “Kock pouch” (a surgically constructed intestinal reservoir with an
opening through the abdominal wall) in your gut.
• if your blood pressure continues to rise despite treatment (malignant hypertension).
Tell your doctor and do not take Nidef if any of these apply to you.
Warnings and precuations
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Cardovasc XL 30mg
• If you have low blood pressure and you were prescribed Cardovasc XL 30mg for your angina.
Your blood pressure may be decreased further by this treatment.
• If you have a heart condition where your heart cannot cope with increased
strain (poor cardiac reserve).
• If you are pregnant.
• If you are breast-feeding. If you need to take Cardovasc XL 30mg, you should stop breast-feeding
before you start to take this medicine.
• If you are a diabetic. The treatment for your diabetes may need to be adjusted. If you
have any questions about this, ask your doctor.
• If you are on kidney dialysis. If you have a very high blood pressure and a low blood
volume, you might experience a sudden drop in blood pressure when you take Nidef.
• If your liver is not working properly. Your doctor may need to do some blood tests.
You may also be given a lower dose of Cardovasc XL 30mg
Talk to your doctor before you take Cardovasc XL 30mg if any of these apply to you.
Tell your doctor:
• if your chest pain (angina) gets worse (comes on more often or more severely) over a
matter of hours or days. You may be advised not to take Cardovasc XL 30mg
• if you have chest pain after taking your first dose of Cardovasc XL 30mg. Your doctor may wish to change your treatment
• if you notice increased breathlessness if you notice swelling of the ankles
Tell your doctor before you take the next dose if any of these apply to you.
Also tell your doctor:
• if you are giving a urine sample. Cardovasc XL 30mg may interfere with the results of certain urine tests,
• if you are to have a barium contrast x-ray (barium meal). These tablets may affect
the results of the test,
• if you are a man who has been unable to father a child by in vitro fertilisation. Drugs
like Cardovasc XL 30mg have been shown to impair sperm function.
Other medicines and Cardovasc XL 30mg
Tell your doctor if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Some medicines may affect the way Cardovasc XL 30mg work. Tell your doctor if you are taking:
• Other medicines to treat high blood pressure,
• Rifampicin (an antibiotic),
• Cimetidine (to treat stomach ulcers),
• Digoxin, diltiazem, quinidine or Beta-blockers (to treat heart conditions),
• Quinupristin/dalfopristin (a combination antibiotic),
• Phenytoin, carbamazepine or valproic acid (to treat epilepsy),
• Cisapride (to treat reduced movements of the gullet and stomach),
• Magnesium sulphate injections during pregnancy (may cause a severe fall in blood
• Erythromycin (an antibiotic),
• Ketoconazole, itraconazole or fluconazole (anti-fungal medicines),
• Indinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir or amprenavir (to treat HIV),
• Fluoxetine or nefazodone (to treat depression),
• Tacrolimus (to prevent the rejection of transplanted organs).
• Phenobarbital (usually used to treat insomnia or anxiety).
Nidef Tablets with food and drink
You can take Nidef Tablets with or without food.
Do not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit while taking Nidef Tablets.
Do not start taking Nidef Tablets within 3 days of drinking grapefruit juice or eating grapefruit.
Tell your doctor if you have had grapefruit or grapefruit juice in this time. Also, do not drink
grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit whilst taking Cardovasc XL 30mg. Grapefruit juice is known to increase the blood levels of the active ingredient, nifedipine. This effect can last for at least 3 days.
Information on sodium content
This medicine contains less than 1 mmol sodium (23 mg) per tablet, that is to say essentially
Pregnancy and Breast-feeding
If you are pregnant,. think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your
doctor for advice before taking this medicine . You may be able to use Nidef but only after
special consideration and agreement by your doctor.
Do not take Nidef Tablets if you are breast-feeding. If you need to take Nidef, you should
stop breast-feeding before you start taking this medicine.
Driving and using machines
Nidef Tablets may make you feel dizzy, faint, extremely tired or have visual disturbances. Do
not drive or operate machinery if you are affected in this way. This may be more likely when
you first start treatment, if you change tablets, or if you have drunk alcohol.
What Cardovasc XL 30mg contain
– The active substance is nifedipine 30mg
– The other excipients are polyethylene oxide, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (E464),
sodium chloride, magnesium stearate (E572), ferric oxide (E172), magnesium stearate,
cellulose acetate, polyethylene glycol (E1521), hydroxypropyl cellulose (E463),
hypromellose (E464), titanium dioxide (E171), talc (E553b), iron oxide red (E172).
Patient Information Leaflet
This product requires a prescription from your Doctor.
Please follow the instruction received from the pharmacy on how to forward your prescription to the pharmacy after you have paid for the medicine.
A prescription drug is a pharmaceutical medication that legally requires a medical prescription to be dispensed.
To order this product you confirm that you are under the care of your doctor or consultant and have been given permission by them for purchase, fulfillment & use in treatment with their written consent
Delievry time are estimates. Can vary due to the time of day you order.
Delivery time estimate are subject to the courier company.
Shipping to Lagos cost starts from N1850 Next day delivery
Shipping to Rest Of Nigeria – 2-3 days cost starts from N2000
Shipping to Rest of Africa – 5-7 working days Cost starts from N12000
Shipping to Europe 7 – 14 working days Cost srats from N18000
Shipping to Rest of the world – 7 – 14 days Cost starts from N18000